FIRE PREVENTION WEEK
October 9, 2016
OCT 9 – OCT 15, 2016
- Spadafore Oil wants to remind our customers that this is the week to check their smoke detectors. Smoke detectors should be changed every 10 years. You can find the date of manufacture by removing the unit and looking at the date on the back. To keep your home safe this year, please follow some simple safety rules.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like a furnace, a fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Have a 3-foot kid-free zone around any open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Always have a qualified professional install and service central heating equipment and water heaters according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Always turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep that container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test your smoke detectors at least once a month and change them every 10 years.
Spadafore Oil cares for our customers and wants this winter to be safe for all.